Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Listen to “026:Forming an LLC-Interview with Nellie Akalp of Corpnet” on Spreaker.
On today’s podcast we’ll discuss how to form an LLC, creating trademarks, a bit about copyrights, and a lot about Nellie’s ability to balance it all. Allow me to introduce Nellie Akalp. Nellie Akalp is a serial entrepreneur, small business advocate, speaker and author. Through the various “Do-It-Yourself” and “Business-Startup” services she has founded since 1997, she has formed over 200,000 corporations and LLCs for small business owners. Her last company was acquired by Intuit in 2005. Today, she and her husband, Phil, operate CorpNet.com where they help entrepreneurs start a business, Incorporate, Form an LLC, set up Sole Proprietorships (DBAs) and maintain a business in compliance with state filing requirements for a new or existing business. Nellie shares her expert tips with readers at Forbes, Entrepreneur and Mashable and is a regular guest expert on the Fox Small Business Center. She was named a Top 100 Small Business Influencer in 2012, 2013, and 2014 by Small Business Trends. Nellie has presented a workshop at Small Biz Expo and sat down with members of Girls in Tech, General Assembly and more to inspire and motivate others to make their business dreams a reality.
She and her husband both attended law school. Back in 1997, Nellie’s husband came up with the idea of taking their law school education and come up with a service that would solve a problem and cater to anyone nationwide by helping them to start a businesses online at a competitive cost.
Nellie Akalp’s story:
Her husband would post information on the internet about business law, and began to think about starting a competitive business online. They purchased a domain name for $100, and began receiving orders and putting together their marketing and branding. It wasn’t long before their business began growing rapidly. In 2005, they were given the opportunity to be purchased by a publicly traded company, for $20 million. At this time she’d had her first set of twins and also had a toddler and decided to focus her energies with them. She also began to realize by 2009 that their passions were in helping entrepreneurs form their businesses. To date Nellie has formed over 100,000 LLC’s.
Filing a DBA or LLC- which is better?
Business owners should consider setting up themselves as an LLC if the business is making profit for the following reasons:
- liability protection
- tax breaks
For less than $100, you should consider incorporating your business.
The process of creating an LLC:
provides many of these services free of charge)
- Make sure you have a business name and that it is available
- Figure out which state you will set up the LLC
- Have a business address
- Have a registered agent address
- Names, members, or officers of the shareholders of the LLC
- File the appropriate paperwork. (Corpnet will set this up for you.)
How to create a trademark:
- Do a simple name search
- Conduct a trademark search
- If available, do a comprehensive nationwide search
- File the application with the USPTO and pay the filing fees, or go through a reputable filing company (like Corpnet) who will partner with you throughout the entire filing process (and add $145 service fee to Corpnet).
Having a trademark filed will protect you against trademark infringement.
Be careful in the blogging world!
- Copying work and written material and republishing without permission is copyright infringement. Bottom line: don’t do it!
How Nellie balances family with business:
Nellie keeps a tight leash on her priorities. Spiritually, mentally, and physically, she stays focused on her goals. Her order of priority:
- Taking care of herself spiritually, mentally, and physically.
- Her husbands and kids
- Her team at Corpnet and business
Other life balance tips for business moms:
- Take life day by day
- Keep super organized
- Planning your day
- Get things done (rather than letting things get piled up)
- Stay organized and regimented with your routine and lifestyle.
- Have open communication with your kids at home about teamwork within the home and explain to your children why you’ve chosen your lifestyle of work and how it benefits the entire family.
Please let Nellie know how you enjoyed the podcast here at Mompreneurs in Heels. You can reach her at Corpnet.com.
Don’t forget to subscribe in iTunes and follow Web Success Coaching around on the web!
(Icon attribution: made by Freepik from www.flaticon.com)